   XPointer question

  • From: "Hunter, David" <dhunter@Mobility.com>
  • To: "'XML-dev'" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:25:06 -0500

I'm having trouble getting my head around the XPointer spec, so I'm hoping
someone on the list can help.  If I have the following people.xml:

<people>
  <person name="John">
    <phone>(555)555-1212</phone>
    <phone>(555)555-1212</phone>
  </person>
  <person name="David">
    <phone>(555)555-1212</phone>
  </person>
  <person name="Andrea">
    <phone>(555)555-1212</phone>
    <phone>(555)555-1212</phone>
    <phone>(555)555-1212</phone>
  </person>
  <person name="Ify">
    <phone>(555)555-1212</phone>
    <phone>(555)555-1212</phone>
  </person>
  <!--more people could follow-->
</people>

What will the following XPointer return:

people.xml#xpointer(//person to phone[1])

?

I'm thinking, from my reading of the spec, that it will return

<person name="John">
  <phone>(555)555-1212</phone>
<person name="David">
  <phone>(555)555-1212</phone>
<!--etc.-->

Or, if I'm wrong, it might return

<person name="John">
  <phone>(555)555-1212</phone>
</person>
<person name="David">
  <phone>(555)555-1212</phone>
</person>

Or, I could be way out to lunch.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

David Hunter
MobileQ
david.hunter@mobileq.com
http://www.MobileQ.com