   Democracy Re: SAX (Introduction, Recomandations, Future...)

  • From: "Laurent Bossavit" <morendil@mmania.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 02:13:28 +0100

Stefan corrected himself thusly -

> > > Democracy
> > >does not exclude delegation of final decisions to an appropiate person.
> >
> > Oh how deliciously ironic ;)
>
> Ok, I should have said democracy does not exclude delegtion of
> decisions for a limited time period.

I doubt Ann would find either formulation less ironic - nor would I.
Democracy is *about* delegating the power to take decisions; it is
not about taking part in decisions, though.

As far as open source code is concerned, my own take is, 'down with
democracy'. The best such systems have flourished under benevolent
dictatorships or, if you will, oligarchies, with one or just a few
persons at the top giving an integrated, coherent feel to disparate
evolutions fed back from large, undifferentiated user bases. Since
you're free to use or not to use any particular such code base, or
even split from it to create your own, your freedom is in no way
limited by such a process.

Should SAX be handed over to a particular organization, the question
will most certainly *not* be whether that organization nurtures SAX
along democratic lines, but whether it is efficient in keeping (and
making) SAX valuable to the XML community. We have no particular
reason to think that any particular organization will be able to do
as good a job as David did in this capacity.

David has indicated a waning of his interest in SAX. Given the
technical level of discussions on this list I'd be amazed if no one
able and willing stepped up to take over.

To hell with democracy - much better to actually have a say and a
chance to influence decisions.

-[Morendil]-
Misspelled?  Impossible.  My modem is error correcting.