   Re: Call for speakers (XML DevCon 2000, June 25-28)

  • From: "KenNorth" <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:10:34 -0800

Henry S. Thompson wrote

<< why should we support what looks like at first glance like a purely
money-making exercise on your part?

Perhaps following the links from the conference pages will answer
your question. The link to Sys-Con, the publisher who is launching
XML-Journal, is on the speaker page. There is also a link to Camelot, the
conference producer. Camelot's site includes a schedule of its projects:
http://www.camelot-com.com/projects.htm

Check the Apachecon site, for example, and you'll see Camelot is part of a
nefarious cartel of high-tech companies, publishers, and publications who
have come together to scam developers out of conference fees.

> Your web-site makes it clear that you don't actually yet have "XML
> Gurus" in place to provide the technical material you need.

1. What you are seeing is a conference Web site that is lagging behind
events and pending announcements. Check it again in a week or two.

2. This was a call for speakers, not a reminder to register. The deadline
for speakers is March 3, so it is premature to advertise who is on the
agenda.

3. We've already received abstracts from a number of highly-qualified
speakers.

> Your registration form doesn't even include the cost before requiring
> details.

No money changes hands. That form is to request information.

> Your press release page is empty.

I'm not following your logic, Henry. You seem to be saying that a conference
should not put out a call for speakers until it has done several press
releases and (paradoxically) published it's list of speakers!

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North
ken_north@compuserve.com  71301.1306@compuserve.com  KenNorth@msn.com