   RE: SAX2: relative ordering of startDocument() & startDTD() events?

  • From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
  • To: XML-DEV <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:30:00 -0000

David Meggison wrote,
> That means that when SAX2/Java goes to final (there'll be at
> least one more beta first), it may have a broken
> LexicalHandler or even no LexicalHandler if necessary.  It
> may also be that the optional handlers simply don't get
> bundled in the main SAX2 distribution.

I think this would be a serious political mistake. Several
parsers are out there already with support for the SAX2 alpha
LexicalHandler. It'd be one thing to change the interface or
modify it's functionality in various ways ... but it'd be
quite another to retract it altogether: that'd be just asking
for SAX to be forked.

Whilst I appreciate the urgency, I can't help feeling that
we're getting bounced into things here.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews