   Re: In praise of SVG

  • From: acassin@cs.mu.OZ.AU
  • To: david-b@pacbell.net
  • Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:54:29 +1100 (EST)

On 28 Feb, David Brownell wrote:
> Len Bullard wrote:
>>
>> Dave Winer wrote:
>>
>> > We've done an evaluation of SVG, and are very very excited about it.
>>
>> Ummm.... cool, but not killer app.  This is the Goldfarb/Chamberlain
>> paper finally implemented and well done.  I like it.  OTOH, 2D is a
>> degenerate case of 3D so this is on a collision course with X3D.
>
> That's a troll, right?

Not necessarily. For example, some API's (eg. SGI *GL) assume z=0 for 2D
primitives using a 3D library to render. Not exactly "complex". I fancy,
at some point in the future, there will be some overlap. Not that I mind
that, however, although it is sure to create headaches for those trying
to map documents between the two.

> Frankly, http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/ sure looks enough for me to use!

Definately :-) Have SVG advocates seen some
battles-from-the-SVG-front-line comments at
http://www.levien.com/svg/shame.html ?

Andrew Cassin
acassin@cs.mu.oz.au