   Re: org.xml.sax.ContentHandler conflicts withjava.net.ContentHandler

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 09:35:56 -0500

At 7:49 PM -0800 2/28/00, David Brownell wrote:

>Actually ... I'm more concerned about such basic names as "Reader"
>than I am about "ContentHandler", which is a bit on the exotic side
>for most purposes.

This particular conflict will come up any time somebody does

import java.net.*;

They don't need to be using ContentHandler specifically. Most
programmers will simply mutter a curse or two and fix it in fifteen
seconds like I did, but that's still a lot of wasted time. However,
students and other less experienced programmers may well waste a lot
of time on this problem. I'd rather that time was not lost.

>It's expected that names will conflict, that's why they're put into
>different packages.

It's expected that names from different vendors who do not
communicate with each other will conflict when combined in a third
party's class path. It's not really expected that third party names
will conflict with names from the class library that everyone knows
about in advance. Java does let us handle this case, but wouldn't it
be simpler to avoid the problem in the first place?

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |