   Re: Gutenberg Project <longish>

  • From: Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com>
  • To: THOMAS PASSIN <tpassin@idsonline.com>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 09:08:43 -0500

At 09:59 PM 3/8/00 -0500, THOMAS PASSIN wrote:

>I wrote that after going to the site linked to in the original posts in this
>thread, seeing its call for volunteers, and reading some of the samples
>pointed to by the site.  I didn't mean the markup-ers failed to understand
>why they should markup a text, just that I think their main interest would
>be in the availability of books rather than in the technical aspects of
>markup.

It's both.

As an educational foundation, the Guild's interest in the project is
twofold: having books available in XML furthers access to such materials.
Secondly, the process of learning a DTD and marking up the texts provides
valuable experience with XML to our members and volunteers.

The project shouldn't require a Masters degree in DTD authoring, nor years
of expertise in SGML or other markup technologies. It *should* be very easy
to do.

Indeed, that 'civilians' are able to successfully learn and markup the
texts is proof of concept for XML in the mass-market.

Ann
---
Just Released! - HTML BY Example
Now shipping -  Mastering XML
Also in print:  Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Chief Operation Officer, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org
Director, HWG Online Education             http://www.hwg.org/services/classes