   Re: Gutenberg Project <longish>

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com>, THOMAS PASSIN <tpassin@idsonline.com>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 10:57:56 -0500

At 09:08 AM 3/9/00 -0500, Ann Navarro wrote:
>Indeed, that 'civilians' are able to successfully learn and markup the
>texts is proof of concept for XML in the mass-market.

For once, I'm delighted to agree 110% with Ann.

Project Gutenberg is exciting both in its own right as a way to better
distribute classic texts and also as a way to introduce XML markup to a
much wider audience.

At least for me, the real appeal of XML is that 'anyone can do this'.  I've
spent far too much of my life on XML-Dev exploring the parts of XML that
aren't so friendly. At the same time, however, I try very hard to keep in
mind that making XML work, making it ubiquitous, means making XML as
accessible as possible to the widest possible audience.

This ain't rocket science, and we shouldn't treat it like it needs to be
complicated.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth