   Re: Gutenberg Project <longish>

  • From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: simonstl@simonstl.com
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 22:32:38 +0000 (GMT)

Simon St.Laurent writes:
 > At least for me, the real appeal of XML is that 'anyone can do this'.  I've
 > spent far too much of my life on XML-Dev exploring the parts of XML that
 > aren't so friendly. At the same time, however, I try very hard to keep in
 > mind that making XML work, making it ubiquitous, means making XML as
 > accessible as possible to the widest possible audience.

if Gutenberg does its job, why should the end users ever see XML? it's
a good notation for markup  up the stuff, but surely the _readers_
(who you presumbly want to number in millions) will neither know nor
care how it is stored, as they'll just see the words on their screens
in some ebook renderer.

lets not pretend that XML is a language for humans, please...

Sebastian Rahtz