   Re: Gutenberg Project <longish>

  • From: Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com>
  • To: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 07:42:12 -0500

At 10:32 PM 3/9/00 +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>Simon St.Laurent writes:
> > At least for me, the real appeal of XML is that 'anyone can do this'.  I've
> > spent far too much of my life on XML-Dev exploring the parts of XML that
> > aren't so friendly. At the same time, however, I try very hard to keep in
> > mind that making XML work, making it ubiquitous, means making XML as
> > accessible as possible to the widest possible audience.
>
>if Gutenberg does its job, why should the end users ever see XML?

Who said they will? The involvement in this project being discussed is the
creation of a DTD for, and the process of, marking up text.

Humans do that. It's an invaluable learning tool and introduction to XML
technologies.

Ann
---
Just Released! - HTML BY Example
Now shipping -  Mastering XML
Also in print:  Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Chief Operation Officer, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org
Director, HWG Online Education             http://www.hwg.org/services/classes