   Re: Gutenberg Project <longish>

  • From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: ann@webgeek.com
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 22:29:37 +0000 (GMT)

Ann Navarro writes:

 > The project shouldn't require a Masters degree in DTD authoring, nor years
 > of expertise in SGML or other markup technologies. It *should* be very easy
 > to do.
 >
 > Indeed, that 'civilians' are able to successfully learn and markup the
 > texts is proof of concept for XML in the mass-market.

I can think of plenty of civilians who can appreciate XML and TEI. The
other week I was helping in a workshop in Spain, teaching people these
very topics. Getting over the concepts of markup, and the principles
of the TEI DTD, was a doddle. Getting them a) to get to grips with the
vagaries of XMetal (fine tool though that is), and b) applying what
they theoretically know about the markup to actual examples, was
harder.

I really don't think ultra-simple DTDs do anyone a favour. You might
as well go back to COCOA and have done with it

Sebastian