   Re: Gutenberg Project <longish>

  • From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: ann@webgeek.com
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 21:01:45 +0000 (GMT)

Ann Navarro writes:

 > I personally reject entirely the idea that any project "has to justify why"
 > it might choose to use or not use one given DTD or another.

If a project does not intend justify it's decisions, why does it
appeal for help and consultation in a respectable public forum? I
cannot see any reason at all why Gutenberg should not publish it's
reasoned analysis of existing DTDs, if it wants to be have any
academic credibility. Granted, you may not want academic credibility.....

 > Folks, this is what XML is all about.  You can do what you wish, in a
 > manner that works for you and your projects. DTDs and Style sheets can be
 > exchanged. They can be adapted for individual use, or they can be ignored
 > and something else created. This isn't *bad*.

of course it is not. but in the pseudo-scientific culture we are all
in, you are expected to demonstrate your reasoning.

 > Good DTDs will bubble up to the top, but they won't necessarily be the ones
 > that are around now, nor will they necessarily be the ones written by
 > today's 'experts'.

ah, the inevitable scare quotes! ok, better back off.

 > Popular use will determine was does or doesn't work for
 > people. And that IS a Good Thing.

possibly, possibly not. but then you'll have to find a way of
measuring what works for people.

If I was a betting man, I'd guess we are fairly close to that law which
dictates an email exchange must end when someone mentions XXXX....

Sebastian Rahtz