   Re: Gutenberg Project <longish>

  • From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "THOMAS PASSIN" <tpassin@idsonline.com>, <xml-dev@XML.ORG>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:17:55 -0500

> Good, this is starting to sound like a potential requirement, something to
> work with, perhaps.  Frank, do you consider it a requirement that a
> GUT-marked-up book be displayable without first transforming it
(presumably
> with xslt)?  If so, you rightly point out that key markup information
> shouldn't be in attributes, unless you are using "class" everywhere as in
> your XHTML example.

no I don't really. I assume that the marked up texts will be around longer
than IE5! And incidently Gecko does a great job of handling this construct.

I have posted the requirements that we have so far at

www.hwg.org/opcenter/gutenberg/requirements2.txt

if you are interested in a full list. If you would like to add to them
either mail the Gutenberg mailing lists or e-mail me directly.

> Also, it sounds like you think that your students' reports on their
> experience will be a good surrogate for that of other markup-ers (or is it
> marker-uppers?).

I prefer 'markers'

 Is this an accurate statement about your thinking?  And if
> so, do you have enough feedback from non-students to support it?

Yes and No.

As a scientist I can tell you that the test was not controlled.

As a practical person who had to move forward on a project it made me
realize that current DTD's (namely TEI) were not adequet for our purposes.

Now I will be the first to admit that if i was using full TEI I could have
used the parameters to alter the names of the tags which would have gone a
small way to solving the problem, but one cannot do this with teixlite.

I am actually trying to re-parameterize teixlite, because I think that it
then may be useful for our (PG Volunteers) purposes, but until I have done
this, produced some suitable documentation, and tested it I won't know.

Frank