   Re: need for defining standard APIs for xml storage

  • From: "KenNorth" <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>, "Ken MacLeod" <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:20:15 -0700

> As you likely know, HTTP defines not only a protocol, but also one set
> of APIs used on top of that protocol: GET, PUT, HEAD, etc.

RFC2616 describes GET, POST, TRACE, etc. as methods, but my view is they are
standard requests or message types. They are analogous to EDI using 850 for
a purchase order, for example.

Protocol specifications often define standard content, such as GET, an IP
address, or a CRC checksum, just as the XML and SGML specs define standard
content.

Do you consider <!DOCTYPE ERRORS SYSTEM "mybad.dtd"> an API?

> simply because it doesn't fit one's preconceived notions as to "what
> is an API" seems to be a grievous error.

Probably not my first, but I'll accept the risk of making a grievous error.
The industry suffers from imprecise language. To me there is a distinction
between protocol and API, and there is no value in blurring the distinction.