   Re: Namespace question

  • From: Norman Gray <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk>
  • To: Linda Grimaldi <grimlinda@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 13:19:09 +0100 (BST)

Greetings,

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Linda Grimaldi wrote:

> Am fairly new to this mailing list, and I must admit, the sheer volume and
> intensity of the messages is very impressive.  I'm looking forward to
> participating more actively.  But, for the moment, I hope you have patience
> for a relatively newbie question, to wit;   How would I go about
> registering an XML namespace designation?  Is it an IANA thing?

Because it's based on a URL prefix, you don't have to register anything.

You simply pick a URL (well, actually a URI, but the difference perhaps
doesn't amount to much in this context) which refers to a resource
you have control over.  That's the namespace name.  You might pick
`http://www.earthlink.net/my/path/to/DTD' for example.

Anyone who wants to refer to elements in that namespace can do so with
a declaration like

   <x xmlns:blurble='http://www.earthlink.net/my/path/to/DTD'>
   </x>

so that `blurble:' is now the namespace prefix they'll use in their
document.

The crucial points are:

  - The URL doesn't have to point to anything, it's simply a means of
    generating a unique string.  However, it's obviously sensible if
    it points to a DTD or something.
  - You don't choose the namespace prefix -- that's up to the person
    who's writing the document.

All the best,

Norman