   Re: Parameterizing namespaces - possible?

  • From: THOMAS PASSIN <tpassin@idsonline.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:49:40 -0400

Simon St.Laurent has been trying to help us get straightened out:

> At 05:09 PM 4/16/00 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
> >No... what you have above should work.  If you read the fine print the
> >extra spaces don't apply when it's in the replacement text of another
> >entity reference.  So %html.name; indeed expands to "html:html"
>
> That's great to know, but what 'fine print' is it?  I can't track it down,
> and this interpretation definitely contradicts 4.4.8.

Simon, I think Tim is refering to section 4.4.5 - no whitespaces are
mentioned if the P.E. occurs as part of the literal value of another entity.
The table in section 4.4 shows two possible uses for P.E.s, and they are
spelled out in sections 4.4.5 and 4.4.8.

You know, my admiration for validating parser writers is increasing by leaps
and bounds.  They have to get this stuff right!

Tom Passin