   Re: Foreign Names, some reasons to use

  • From: "Oleg A. Paraschenko" <prof@infosite.ru>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 20:46:50 +0400

  Hello!

  I scanned a thread and have some comments. Probably they will
interest because I am foreigner.

>"most software engineers...can read English"
-- Some even can understand.

>During the Soviet time there was a number of attempts to make
>Russian-based programming languages or customize regular programming
>languages with Russian, and all they failed. Programmers just despise
>them.
-- It is true. And it is not strange. There are a lot of problems
to customize tools to work with Russian. I am not going to write
for some "localized" compiler because this code will be only
for this compiler.

>switching keyboard
-- When mixing Non-latin and Latin content it is a problem.
One my friend once had to write a big text with markup.
He wrote all in Latin letters and wrote a program for
transliteration from Latin letters to Russian letters.
It was much faster then switching on markup.

> world-wide projects are in English
Yes.

But there are a lot of not-world-wide projects.

  As a programmer I do not bothered by English language.
But there are users of our products. They need
Russian language.

>XML may be generated from database with native fields names.
  It is not a probability it is reality.

  Here is a reason why I need localized tag names.
XML is a sort of database, and requires a special
tool to work with. All ok while you have text without
markup. But when you have some markup, you should edit
it too. There is nothing better then text editor.
Text is typed by users (often hired temporary), not
by programmers. They can understand and learn very
fast what means
but they will spent a lot of time learning
tags <name>, <surname> etc.

---
  Regards,
    Oleg A. Paraschenko