   RE: External Resources: Catalogs, XInclude, XBase +

  • From: "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@virgin.net>
  • To: "xml-dev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 19:07:05 +0100

     Leigh Dodds - musing aloud.

     I think this would be a useful clarification which will highlight
     that xinclude URIs are to be treated in the same manner as other
     external identifiers.

     I meant that a packaging mechanism might need to include
     'local (entity management) catalog' to ensure that references
     in PackagedDocA to B can be dereferenced to actually point
     to PackagedDocB.

     This would allow documents to be packaged without any
     need to transform their contents.

     I'd expect that logically a package would contain a manifest
     (whats in the package), and a catalog (linking contents
     together). However these might physically be the same file.

     A package processor would expect at least a manifest in a
     package.

Further musings. I found extremely useful the catalog support that
Arbortext provided in combination with XT for XML documents.

If (A real if at the moment) namespace resolution becomes an address,
rather than being treated as a name, would a similar local catalog
resolution be feasible?

My rationale is the same as for the lack of catalog support on XML,
I don't want to have to connect to the web to resolve each any
every namespace I encounter.

Regards, DaveP