   Re: PC Week on "Why XML is Failing" ?????

  • From: "Michael Champion" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 20:07:10 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "KenNorth" <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
To: "Michael Champion" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com>; <xml-dev@xml.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 7:19 PM
Subject: Re: PC Week on "Why XML is Failing" ?????

> If you ignore the headline, it's clear John Taschek is writing about XML
as
> a vehicle for e-commerce, not XML as a markup technology

I guess we should remember that authors seldom write headlines ... but
nevertheless "Why XML is Failing" is so misleading that I for one have a
hard time ignoring it. If it had been "XML is not the Holy Grail of
eCommerce" I suppose I wouldn't have been so irritated ... but then again I
wouldn't have bothered reading it.

But I'm truly curious -- does the "real world" think of "XML" as a vehicle
for e-commerce rather than a markup technology? The only way I can reconcile
the article in question with the reality I understand is if "XML" means "the
one true universal data format that supposedly allows automatic
interoperability."  The point that "you live by the hype, you die by the
hype" is well taken, but I don't thing ANYONE hyped XML to the point that
the article implies.