   Re: PC Week on "Why XML is Failing" ?????

  • From: "KenNorth" <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
  • To: "Michael Champion" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:10:45 -0700

> But I'm truly curious -- does the "real world" think of "XML" as a vehicle
> for e-commerce rather than a markup technology?

At every conference since last October, we've asked the audience what they
were doing with XML. The numbers have been consistent. 75% are planning or
doing B2B e-commerce projects. (OK -- not very scientific -- and maybe that
only proves people doing B2B projects have a bigger budget for conferences.)

> I don't thing ANYONE hyped XML to the point that the article implies.

Listen to (or read) Steve Ballmer's remarks over the past year. His title is
CEO, but he sounds like Steve Ballmer, XML Evangelist. Here's the URL for
his recent speech about XML being a "fundamental shift" in the way we do
business and government:

http://www.xml.org/xmlorg_news/ceo-xml.shtml

Ballmer said:
XML will become the "universal medium by which Web sites and users of Web
sites communicate,"

See you at AD2000 London (www.applicationdevelopment.com)
XML DevCon 2000 New York City (www.xmldevcon2000.com)