   XSLT with a longer wire == SOAP?

  • From: "Box, Don" <dbox@develop.com>
  • To: "'SOAP'" <SOAP@DISCUSS.DEVELOP.COM>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:09:03 -0700

I implemented a SOAP/1.1 endpoint last night in 100% pure XSLT, confirming
(to myself at least) that viewing SOAP as "xslt with a longer wire" isn't a
complete sham. Feel free to check this out:

1) The endpoint address is: http://soap.develop.com/xsltwire/calculator.xslt
(don't click this URL, it's a SOAP endpoint not a web page).

2) The source code for #1 is at:
http://soap.develop.com/xsltwire/calculator.xslt.xml (click this URL if you
want to see the source behind the SOAP endpoint).

2) The interface definition in XML Schema language:
http://soap.develop.com/xsltwire/calculator.xsd (click this URL all you like
as well).

3) An IE5-specific DHTML client is at:
http://soap.develop.com/xsltwire/client.htm  (click this URL only if you are
running IE5 or greater).

Note that #2 uses an ISAPI extension I wrote last night for building "XSLT
with a longer wire" - look for that code after some cleanup. I'll try to
build the servlet/tomcat version next week for symmetry and release them
both at the same time.

Note that #3 uses an obvious extension to XSD to describe an interface by
tying multiple type definitions together using QNames (thanks to Henry
Thompson's most excellent schema validator
(http://cgi.w3.org/cgi-bin/xmlschema-check) for checking this for me)!

Note that #4 is just a quick sample hacked up on a plane and flames about
SOAP (or XML ;-)) being IE-specific have been beaten to death on this forum
and elsewhere.

DB
http://www.develop.com/dbox