   RE: How can I put entity refs back into a document?

  • From: "Aurenz, Scot" <SAurenz@Rational.Com>
  • To: "'Robin LaFontaine'" <robin@monsell.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 13:53:50 -0400

> Is there an easy way to process an XML document and put the entity
> references back into it?

	I've been grappling with this same problem.

	I'm using expat, and have disabled most of the entity translation
	by processing all the character data with the "default" handler
	(i.e., implement expat's "default" callback handler, but not
	its "character data" handler).

	This takes care of the text data, but I still have a problem
	with attribute values in elements. expat insists on translating
	entities there.

	I wonder if this hole could be closed by also processing elements
	thru the default handler (i.e., do not implement the "start/end
element"
	handlers, either)? Does anyone know?

	Do other parsers offer ways to disable entity translation?

Scot Aurenz
Rational Software, 20 Maguire Road, Lexington, MA 02421
saurenz@rational.com
(781) 676-2442

R a t i o n a l
   the e-development company