   Re: How can I put entity refs back into a document?

  • From: Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org>
  • To: "Aurenz, Scot" <SAurenz@Rational.Com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 12:38:02 +0200

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 01:53:50PM -0400, Aurenz, Scot wrote:
> > Is there an easy way to process an XML document and put the entity
> > references back into it?
>
> 	I've been grappling with this same problem.

  I'm struggling with that right now actually...
  Same for me in the libxml parser assuming it's about charref and not
entity ref:
I'm currenlty opting to the following resolution:
  - a charref should not produce a different output at parsing stage
    otherwise this mean one have to complicate the data model to store
    them, and this open the door to too much side effects. It's already
    hard enought to be able to save back entity references.
  - the very distincion should be when saving. If one ask to save using
    a given encoding, then the document data should try to be converted
    as much as possible into the given encoding. This may not be possible
    and in this case then a charref has to be generated for each character
    not directly mappable in the target encoding.
    If one ask to save without any specific encoding and if the original
    document didn't specifies one, then an "ascii" default may be the
    preferred option where anything outside the ASCII range is mapped
    back to charrefs.

  Of course implementing this while looking simpler than keeping
charrefs in the data model, is still sufficient to get serious headaches ...

> 	Do other parsers offer ways to disable entity translation?

  I'm still wondering if the original question was entity or charrefs.
For entities I assume most implementations providing a Save function
keep entities references in the output (either via the interfaces or
the generated content/Infoset).

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW