   Re: A colorful press release

  • From: Tom Scola <Thomas.Scola@us.rbcds.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 13:56:55 -0400

Dave Winer wrote:

> The technology
> has been working since Spring 1998, so that clearly is not the gaiting
> factor. What's in the way are some wrongly aligned thinking patterns, and
> much of this is inside the firewalls at Sun, and elsewhere.

This is where I'm having a problem with *your* pattern of thinking.  If
the technology you promote is valid, then you need to convince people by
using reasoned arguments, not by forming a mob to drown out dissenting
voices.  And I dislike your implication that are right and other people
are wrong.

> I strongly believe that any technical problem or concern can be addressed as
> long as we have agreement on the basic principle that this will not be a war
> zone. That's really hard work, but worth doing, imho.

The IETF believes in consensus too, but *technical* consensus more so
than *political* consensus.  How important will all these vendors be in
five years time?  Microsoft could be split up, Novell could be out of
business, and a third of the others acquired or merged.

If the consensus of disparate technology companies were the primary
factor for the success of a technology, then we would all be running OSF
DCE and CORBA right now.  Instead, I view SOAP as trying to reinvent
those same wheels.

Just because some technology "works" does not mean that it deserves to
succeed.  In fact, DCE and CORBA are good examples of this.  DCE and
CORBA both "work".  However, CORBA glosses over issues of security and
efficiency, and therefore it can only be used in certain controlled
settings, and never over the Internet.  DCE tackled security and
efficiency head-on, and wound up with something so complicated that it
could only be deployed with great cost.