   Re: A colorful press release

  • From: "Dave Winer" <dave@userland.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 09:18:27 -0700

>Which convinces me even more that SOAP is a protocol designed for marketing
purposes rather than technical reasons.

Tom, it definitely *is* marketing.

There's tremendous skepticism about technology companies working together.
In the last few weeks we've been swarmed with analysts, and worked with
them, only to see them report the same Boy Kills Boy story. The technology
has been working since Spring 1998, so that clearly is not the gaiting
factor. What's in the way are some wrongly aligned thinking patterns, and
much of this is inside the firewalls at Sun, and elsewhere. The thinkers
(reporters and analysts) can be forgiven for always writing the same story,
because that's what they have always been presented in the past. But that is
not the story of SOAP.

I strongly believe that any technical problem or concern can be addressed as
long as we have agreement on the basic principle that this will not be a war
zone. That's really hard work, but worth doing, imho.

Thanks for listening.

Dave