   Re: Now that the list is working well ...what's next?

  • From: "Michael Champion" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 10:45:23 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Megginson" <david@megginson.com>
To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2000 9:48 AM
Subject: Re: Now that the list is working well ...what's next?

> Let's not try to do this ourselves

Definitely not! The idea is to discuss which hosting site is best for which
purposes, how to forge the necessary alliances and links, and to get on with
it.

> On the other hand, I would be very disappointed to see XML-Dev become
> like JavaLobby.  It's not that I disapprove of advocacy (or of Java,
> which is my favorite programming language), but I don't think that it
> mixes well with hard-core development, and that's what XML-Dev is
> about.

I was using javalobby.com's *web site* as a nice example of an online
community for geeks, not suggesting that XML-DEV get into the advocacy game.
I see javalobby.com as sortof a nice "one stop shop" for what XML.com,
xmlhack, and XML-DEV provide the XML community , i.e., a portal, news
clipping service, and a discussion forum/archive.  Sorry for the confusion.
I completely agree that XML is a tool to be understood and developed, not a
philosophy to be advocated!