   Re: Syntax and semantics

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: "Michael S. Brothers" <Michael.S.Brothers@EMCIns.Com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:05:53 -0500

"Michael S. Brothers" wrote:

> Can we perhaps have the "semi-semantic" Web (in the meantime, until
> HAL is born) by actually assigning meaning (DTD, Schema, mapping info,
> whatever) to the namespace URI?

Where is the meaning in a DTD, schema or mapping info? If I give you

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<FOO/>

How would a DTD/schema or mapping info help either you or the computer
to understand it? They might help you to *process* it, which is an
important goal, but it that is not the same as understanding it.

I see virtue in the idea of the namespace referent being a known
vocabulary with pointers to various processing specifications. But I
don't call think that that would lead us to a "semantic web". Perhaps a
more useful web, but not a semantic one.

Just how compassionate can a Republican get before he has to leave the
GOP and join Vegans for Global Justice? ... One moment, George W. Bush
is holding a get-to-know-you meeting with a bunch of gay Republicans.
The next he is holding forth on education or the environment ... It is
enough to make a red-blooded conservative choke on his spotted-owl
drumstick.     - April 29th, Economist