   Re: Syntax and semantics

  • From: "Michael S. Brothers" <Michael.S.Brothers@EMCIns.Com>
  • To: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:33:32 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Paul,

You are right, of course. That is why I used the term "semi-semantic",
and even that may be a stretch. In fact, the more this debate has worn
on, and through some enlightenment given me by John Gardner off-line, I
think Simon is right. Time to slow down, survey where we are, and make
the current tools work. Simply expanding the role of the namespace URI
is a solution in search of a problem.

Take Care,
mike

On Thu, 18 May 2000 14:05:53 -0500 Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
wrote:

> "Michael S. Brothers" wrote:

> > Can we perhaps have the "semi-semantic" Web (in the meantime, until
> > HAL is born) by actually assigning meaning (DTD, Schema, mapping info,
> > whatever) to the namespace URI?
>
> Where is the meaning in a DTD, schema or mapping info? If I give you
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <FOO/>
>
> How would a DTD/schema or mapping info help either you or the computer
> to understand it? They might help you to *process* it, which is an
> important goal, but it that is not the same as understanding it.
>
> I see virtue in the idea of the namespace referent being a known
> vocabulary with pointers to various processing specifications. But I
> don't call think that that would lead us to a "semantic web". Perhaps a
> more useful web, but not a semantic one.
>
> --
>  Paul Prescod  - ISOGEN Consulting Engineer speaking for himself
Michael S. Brothers
515-362-7473
"I like bacon. And ham. And pork chops."
"But Dad, those are from the same animal."
"Yes, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal."
-Homer Simpson