   Previous XML-DEV namespace discussions

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:16:44 -0400

[again, apologies for the cross-post - trying to follow Dan...]

At 02:52 AM 5/19/00 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>> No, actually, calling namespaces pointing at schemas a best practice is an
>> invitation to mudslinging on XML-Dev.
>
>Er... I don't mean to sling any mud. I presumed I was invited to join
>this discussion by Tim Bray when he cc:'d me on the message
>that started this thread. I attempt to monitor xml-dev at least
>occasionally, but I haven't read all of it, and I'd appreciate
>a pointer to the earlier discussions you mention where best practices
>for XML Namespaces were agreed.

XML-Dev isn't a formal organization that 'agrees on best practices' in any
kind of official way.  However, I'll list some pointers that reflect this
rough bloody consensus and then some pointers to the original XML-Dev
discussions, insofar as I can find them.

Reflections:
http://xml.org/archives/xml-dev/2000/05/0484.html - Megginson

Namespace Myths Exploded - Ron Bourret (1 and 8 in particular)
http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/03/08/namespaces/index.html

XML Namespaces - James Clark (leaves more of an out for schemas)
http://www.jclark.com/xml/xmlns.htm

Discussions:
Three namespaces for XHTML?  (All over the map, but it's pretty clear where
sides are drawn)
September 1999 -
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Sep-1999/index.html
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Aug-1999/index.html#364
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Sep-1999/index.html#77
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Sep-1999/index.html#43
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Sep-1999/index.html#34
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Sep-1999/0896.html
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Sep-1999/index.html#73

June 1999 -
Battles over the role of URIs (URLs in particular) in namespaces
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Jun-1999/index.html#0
Web architectures:
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Jun-1999/index.html#34
"Namespaces are Dead"
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Jun-1999/index.html#227
URI/URL/IETF/W3C
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-May-1999/0820.html

March 1999 -
Namespaces and DTDs
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Mar-1999/index.html#173
Ambiguous re RDF Schemas
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Mar-1999/index.html#275

February 1999 -
Layman on J Clark:
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Feb-1999/0068.html
Tim Bray on using namespaces in code:
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Feb-1999/0189.html
Throughout the month:
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Feb-1999/index.html

The classic 'Cheetos' post, though not quite relevant:
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Jan-1999/0311.html

Okay, time for coffee.  I'm fully aware that these may not be a unified
coherent argument, but history is rarely unified or coherent.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com