   Re: FOs again

  • From: "Rzepa, Henry" <h.rzepa@ic.ac.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 08:20:45 +0100

>I particularly agree with the last two goals FOP is already almost usable
>for some purposes - Michael Wright - working with Henry Rzepa has written a
>60 page thesis in XML (about, and featuring, CML], transformed to XSL-FO
>and rendered (in print) with FOP. It looks very attractive and (IMO) no
>less presentable than many Word documents. Michael has worked with a
>pre-release version of FOP and there are also many things that can't be
>done, but there are a lot that can. [We hope that Michael's work can be
>displayed soon].

XSLFO/FOP was certainly good enough for Michael too present
for his degree (which he did on paper and on CDROM). The major
omission in the styling was superscripts  and subscripts, which chemists
are inordinately fond of (along with math of course). We hope
Michael's work can be displayed as part of a summer "exhibition"
of student work in chemistry  we are organising in the  UK
(http://www.chemsoc.org/exemplarchem/ ), although we have to be careful
since many chemistry journals with high "impact factors" (a curious
measurement much beloved of promotion panels in our subject)
deem anything pre-published in part on the Internet to be
subsequently unpublishable in whole on their pages.
--

Henry Rzepa. Imperial College, Chemistry Dept.
+44 020  7594 5774 (Office) +44 020 7594 5804 (Fax)