   Re: Question on future of XML

  • From: Eric Bohlman <ebohlman@netcom.com>
  • To: Andrew Gorman <gormana@letu.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 01:21:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Andrew Gorman wrote:

> I am curious to know what the people of this list think is the future of XML
> in the area of use as a platform to create new internet applications and its
> use in development of new Operating Systems.   Thank you very much.

Category mistake here.  Try substituting "ASCII" for "XML" in that
sentence and see if it makes any sense.  XML is just a set of rules for
creating text-based data formats.  An extremely valuable activity, but
hardly a "platform," and of small relevance to OS design (it can certainly
play a role in the marshalling component of IPC, but that's just the tip
of the OS iceberg).