   Re: control characters

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: "xml-dev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 18:31:32 -0400

At 02:46 PM 6/17/00 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>At 09:27 AM 17/06/00 -0500, Mark Volkmann wrote:
>>I've never seen a discussion of the reason why most ASCII control
>>characters, such as a form feed, are not allowed in XML documents. Can
>>anyone tell me the reason behind that decision or point me to a spec. that
>>explains that?
>
>I'm not sure we'd do it the same way if we were doing it again.  I don't
>see that they do any real harm.  Clearly, if you're optimizing for a
>highly interoperable *content* markup language (and XML is) it's legitimate
>to be suspicious of things like vertical-tab and backspace and so on...
>but then how can it be consistent to leave in \n and DEL and so on?

That seems to be the viewpoint (suspicious) of "Unicode in XML and other
Markup Languages":
http://www.w3.org/TR/unicode-xml

It doesn't seem have been updated since 28 September 1999, but it's an
interesting place to look.

Three unsubscribe/subscribe cycles later, I'm getting xml-dev again!  Hurray!

Simon St.Laurent