   RE: MSIE XSLT vs. XT XSLT

  • From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • To: "'Bruce Snyder'" <bsnyder@pengroup.com>, xml-dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:33:21 +0100

> <xsl:template match="lastname">
> 	<xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">
> 	&lt;var name='lastname'&gt;
> 		&lt;string&gt;</xsl:text><xsl:value-of select="."/>
> 	<xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">&lt;/string&gt;
> 	&lt;/var&gt;</xsl:text>
> </xsl:template>
>

> Can someone tell me why MSIE behaves in this manner?

No, but I don't really blame it when faced with code like that. What on
earth is wrong with the perfectly sanitary:

<xsl:template match="lastname">
 	<var name='lastname'>
 		<string><xsl:value-of select="."/></string>
 	</var>
</xsl:template>

Disable-output-escaping is a horible kludge to be used only as a last
resort. It forces the processor to serialize the text as XML, meaning that
you can't pass the XML to another process without reparsing it, and it
generally obfuscates your code. XSLT processors aren't even obliged to take
any notice of it.

Mike Kay