   RE: Microsoft's Role in the XML Community (WAS RE: Important: The SAXC

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: gurun@acc.umu.se
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:07:55 -0500

Ok, but spell out MIF for me. :-)

Losing a fight has downsides, mostly
pain and loss of opportunity, but losing a
cause is a loss of motivation and direction.
It can also be the start of learning as all
causes are not worthwhile.  Pick your battles
and trust both your own judgement and your
capacity to learn.  Don't play zero sum.

XML shapes behavior because of the way one
has to go about implementing it.  Few technologies
I've worked with require as much cooperation
and negotiation among "the humans" as markup
does.  That is a strength where the culture
is fit, that is, demonstrates a proficiency
at cooperation and negotiation, and a true
"killer app" where they don't because it
can quickly put an unfit company out of business.

This wasn't true of HTML.  It requires practically
no cooperation, and in fact, rewards that behavior.
That is why Netscape lost.  When it came time for
Marc A et al to evolve the web through their product
architecture, they sat back and derided
the best deal as proprietary.  Events simply rolled
over them after that.  They lost sight of their original
goals of evolving the web, or simply didn't technically
understand the direction it was taking.

Hopefully, they learned from that experience, but if their
only resort was litigation, they didn't learn enough.
Sometimes when fighting the fight, one loses the cause.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram