   input/output matrix ofXML tools, e.g. based on: data, schema, code

  • From: "Tolkin, Steve" <Steve.Tolkin@fmr.com>
  • To: "'XML Developers List'" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:02:24 -0400

There are a lot of tools for XML out there.
I am aware of http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/xmltools/cat_ix.html
which is good,
but I am am looking for a more organized classification structure.

Has anyone has put together a document describing them based on the
following organizational scheme:

Input(s), Output(s)

For example JOX needs as inputs XML and Java Beans, and can optionally
accept a DTD.  But where did the Java Beans come from?
There are tools that will convert a relational database into beans,
e.g. Oracle's will.
IBM alphaworks has a tool that will generate dummy data given a DTD.
Another tool at IBM alphaworks will generate a DTD given an XML document.

Below I show the top two levels of a simple classification scheme.
(The third level is hinted at in the lines that say "etc.")
Feel free to make changes and additions:

** Data (including documents of course):
XML document in external form (e.g. a file)
  (This will have specializations, e.g. conforming to WAP, to BizTalk, etc.)
XML document or fragment in internal form (e.g. DOM, XML data store, etc.)
HTML document
XHTML document
Other structured data file (e.g. *.csv, tab delimited, email, etc.)

** Schema (including other kinds of specifications):
XML DTD
XML Schema (or DCD etc.)
XML Query (in XQL, XML-Query, Quilt, etc., etc.)
SQL DDL (as text)
SQL database (catalog accessed directly, e.g. through ODBC and or JDBC)
UML (diagram or "code")
Other XML oriented specification (e.g. those used by MSXML, etc.)

** Code (or similar "executable" item):
One big Java bean (e.g. input to Jox)
Collection of related Java beans (e.g. output from Oracle's tool)
Other, e.g. COM objects, etc.
XSLT specification
XML protocol (SOAP, XML-RPC, WDDX, etc.)
EJB deployment descriptor, etc.

Is this a reasonable approach?
Does anyone have something like this?
Hopefully helpfully yours,
Steve
--
Steven Tolkin          steve.tolkin@fmr.com      617-563-0516
Fidelity Investments   82 Devonshire St. R24D    Boston MA 02109