   xml parser question

  • From: "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@virgin.net>
  • To: "Xml-Dev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 19:33:03 +0100

In moving some stuff from SGML to xml, I keep falling
foul of the xml parsers doing what they should!

Some stuff from LINUXDOC has all its version details in
an external file, ref'd by entities. I'm trying to use
sgmlnorm, sx and xt to get it into xml. In the finished
documents I want (would like) the entities back in place so that writers
can see 'In version &latest; .... etc.'

As part of the parse by sx, xt etc, all the ents are resolved
to 4.4.1 or whatever version is being referred to.

How much hassle is it to add a switch to a parser to say
'leave them alone' please?

Do others have to work round this?
Bottom line I want a 'pass-through' option available.
I could pre-process or post-process, but I was wondering
if its an odd-ball request to have it done as part of
a wholly xml process?

Curious.
Regards, DaveP