   RE: Microsoft's Role in the XML Community (WAS RE: Important: The SAXC

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:00:56 -0500

In Beyond The Book Metaphor, towards the end,
we described the concept of "stable cooperating systems".
The essence is that perturbations will be introduced
into the processes as a consequence of many forces some
of which are unpredictable as to entry time or source (eg,
sudden changes in the environment),
but as long as the behavior remains cooperative in nature,
the markup system of contracting pulls it back to stability.  As long
as one can avoid min/max regions that are stable
but suboptimal (the "thump it" issue in annealing), this system
evolves.  The ecology metaphor emphasizes trading at
the overlapping boundaries of communities much the same
as namespaces imply shared semantics among otherwise
encapsulated systems.

Frictionless trading is a nice goal, but not realistic.
A system that regularly greases the surfaces remains fit
for a long time though.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

From: Peter Murray-Rust [mailto:peter@ursus.demon.co.uk]

I agree completely with this. When I talk and tutor on "XML" (which is
wider than XML V1.0) this is the area that I highlight first. It is about
humans cooperating to make it possible for machines to talk to each other.
XML-DEV was founded very much on this philosophy.