   RE: LIST: IMPORTANT: [ was Re: Another XSLT Question]

  • From: adam moore <Adam.Moore@nottingham.ac.uk>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@XML.ORG>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:47:29 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Leigh Dodds wrote:

> XML-DEV Archive Index:
> http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic/xml-dev-archives.html
>
> Please inform me of any broken links, mistakes, etc. I have checked
> everything
> however  (although egroups.com doesn't seem to be responding at the moment).

This may be due to the fact that eGroups has just announced (this morning
 29th June 2000) that it 'is joining the Yahoo! family'? Although I have
experienced intermittent service from them for a while now.

Everything else works fine for me.

I guess we should all take a look at Bill Smith's comments and make up our
own minds if OASIS have been delivering their promises:
'Our first priority is to ensure that the lists function correctly in
transporting messages. '
http://www.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/2000/04/0542.html

Karl and Norm have made significant efforts to improve this list, and that
has to be acknowledged. As someone who has struggled with mail servers in
the past, I can appreciate the complexities involved.

Such an important community resource as xml-dev must have a robust,
reliable server. I guess now is the time to consider again if that server
should be an OASIS one.

On the subject of community resources, might I suggest that we start
collating a definitive, any platform, any language, set of free XML
resources - perhaps on somewhere like sourceforge - a generic, freeware
XDK that beginners and developers alike could download and benefit from?
I started to do something like this with the Bio-XDK last year - you can
maybe get an idea what I mean from looking at:
http://ala.vsms.nottingham.ac.uk/biodom/bio-xdk/contents.html
N.B. Please remember how out of date all the actual resources are!

The point is that whilst it is great to have a list of links to places
that all the software is available, it is also great to be able to
download 1 tar.gz or .zip file with all the tools and info you need to get
up and running.

Just my .053 euros and all in MVVVHO.

Dr Adam Moore
adam.moore@nottingham.ac.uk