   Re: ADMINISTRATIVE: mail list moving

  • From: Edd Dumbill <edd@usefulinc.com>
  • To: Karl Best <karl.best@oasis-open.org>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:06:32 +0100

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 08:21:22AM -0400, Karl Best wrote:
> OASIS, who sponsors this mail list, has recently contracted with a mail list
> services provider to handle our lists. We're doing this in order to provide
> better quality list service for our subscribers. Last night this list was
> transitioned to a new server and new mail software.
>
> We've tried to make the transition as invisible as possible, but there will
> be a couple changes:
>
> * When you send mail to this list, you should send it to
> xml-dev@lists.xml.org instead of to xml-dev@xml.org.

It's only one line in your /etc/aliases file to preserve the original
address as well--it would be nice if this could be done, if it's not
been done already.

> * We've configured the list so that only subscribers may post to the list.
> This means that you cannot post a message from a secondary account, for
> example from your home account. If a message bounces back to you, it is
> because the email address on your message does not match the address you are
> subscribed with.

It might be an idea to ask group members how they feel on this. I know
from time to time it has proved convenient for certain people to copy
xml-dev on a post elsewhere for informational purposes, without having
to subscribe to the mammoth flow.

-- Edd