   RE: XML and inheritance and transformation of representations

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Daniel.Veillard@w3.org
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:48:19 -0500

Not fishy, but contextural.  Perhaps I should
have said, the designers.  My reference is not
to the XML application developers, a category
that did not exist prior to the specification
of XML, or xml-dev, but to the designers of the specification,
most of whom were SGML developers.

I agree that most of the XML developers were not
SGML developers.  That is why they don't know
the facts of the history of the development, the
reasons for the features in SGML, or how to discriminate
between fact and fiction in a presentation except to
ascribe hero status to journeyman effort.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

From: Daniel Veillard [mailto:Daniel.Veillard@w3.org]

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 09:06:20AM -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> 3.  As most/all of the XML developers
> were SGML developers,

 Hummm, this one really sound fishy to me...

Sorry but I wasn't an SGML developper, ever.
90% of the people I know use my XML code or write
XML code parser or XML based apps were not in
the SGML familly (most of they were at best in
grad school at that time :-). I also think that
95% of them are *not* on xml-dev

Daniel

P.S.: those people work in the Gnome/Linux and
      other free software projects. Maybe it's just
      a different familly of developers not stricto
      sensus XML developers