   Re: XLink transformations

  • From: Ben Trafford <ben@legendary.org>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 00:30:38 -0700

At 09:21 AM 7/18/00 -0400, tpassin@home.com wrote:
>This is a good example.  I think the approach to take is to create a new XML
>file, based on the xlink file and the source file(s), then to do any
>transformations on it afterwards.

         There are cases where this may not work, specifically, cases where
the XSL stylesheet transforms the original links out of existence. At what
point in the process do you process the links, and how do you bypass the
XSL stylesheet to make them appear? And if you do bypass the stylesheet,
what happens if you intentionally -want- the links to disappear?

>The harder part is when you use an XPointer expressions in an XLink, then
>change the document that is pointed to.  Chances are, the XPointer

         An icky problem. We resolved this, to some extent, by creating a
tertiary information set (not a true infoset, but a homegrown document
model to keep track of links), and then used that to parse against the
generated document. When links disappeared, the user is informed. The depth
of that informing (from keel over and die to a simple message) is up to the
rendering application.

         A nifty thing is to have this tertiary information set keep track
of where things are throughout the transformation. Since XSL
transformations are predictable, it's not terribly difficult to follow
where things are shifting in the process.

>table.  If the  key is compound (like (lastname,firstname,company)), and one
>part changes (John Smith changes his employer), what happens everywhere
>there is a pointer to this instsance of the key?

         As you mention later, the solution is to give the instance it's
own identity. This need not be done explicitly, but can be generated by the
linking/transformative engine.

--->Ben Trafford