   Re: Joel on XML

  • From: Michael Champion <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 02:40:29 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick JELLIFFE" <ricko@geotempo.com>
To: "Dave Winer" <dave@userland.com>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2000 2:18 AM
Subject: Re: Joel on XML

> Criticizing a general, non-technical marketing blurb for being vague is
> futile. The pupose of those white-papers is so that barely-technical
> decision-makers outside MS feel confident that MS has a good plan and
> they are leading not reacting.

Perhaps you're right, but Joel Sapolsky explicitly argues to the contrary:

"I know Microsoft; worked there for three years. I know the kind of people
that wrote this document. Bill Gates almost certainly had a very significant
role in it; that's why he gave up the CEO position, so he could work on this
stuff. I don't think that Microsoft created this document because they
needed some vaporware. These are super-smart people.

I actually think that they earnestly think they're inventing the future, as
well as they know how."