   Re: SOAP serialization

  • From: mark hu <mark@fintrack.com>
  • To: KenNorth <KenNorth@email.msn.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:08:30 -0400

Thanks for you arcticle ref, it's a good article, but the point is : ROPE is
only the actural word for NT (win2000) side, not for Unix side - we do not
have to use ROPE for anywhere besides MS Windows ( Surely MS SOAP Toolkit
and its gerenated Listener only can be configured and run under MS IIS
....), even in MSDN article -  Unix side had a Java based Web Service
Listener which getting SOAP messages ( in this MSDN sample; SOAP messages
were passed in through ROPE which is staying at Windows side ) and then
passed by a SOAP parser, then calling relative Objects ( in this case CORBA
....), so the whole picture only Web Services part incudes ROPE ( which is
really MS thing, designed fro VS 6.0 and coming VS 7.0 ), and this is based
on you put your web-services up and running under MS Windows, what if
somewhere that does not have MS IIS server and run NetScape or IBM, in this
case We DO NEED A TOOLKIT - CALLED "SUN SOAP Toolkit" or "IBM SOAP Toolkit"
which can generate the same results but based on CORBA and targetting OS
besides MS Windows, and I am using MS Toolkit right now - and the actual Web
Services Listener is done through ISAPI ( which bust up performence quite
bit ... ), I like this tool - since the SDLWizard Toolkit right now only
recognize COM OBJECT only, I do hope they can come out a new one which can
CORBA also, and I bet they will - again, ROPE is COM thing, not for JAVA -
oh, surely u can generate a Java wrapper class and make a Java container for
ROPE, so your Java people can use it very easily - but, this is not the
point here - basicly, MS SOAP Toolkit for now, is targetting VS 6.0 and
based on COM only ... sorry, man.

mark hu
646-872-7341 (cell phone)
"breath, open up eyes and think"