   RE: new Infoset

  • From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
  • To: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:16:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> I sense a circularity in which I can have a compliant
> XML document that does not have a conforming information set.

That is correct.  For example, the document:

	<foo::bar/>

is well-formed but does not have an infoset.

> This ties up
> specifications that normatively reference XML 1.0 and can orphan XML 1.0.

We considered that this behavior is licensed by the following language
in the XML Rec:

# Note: The colon character within XML names is reserved for
# experimentation with name spaces. Its meaning is expected to be
# standardized at some future point, at which point those documents
# using the colon for experimental purposes may need to be updated.

In the WG's view, the meaning of colon has now been standardized, and
documents using it in non-Namespace-conformant ways deserve to lose.

C'est la` pourtant que se livre le sens du dire, de ce que, s'y conjuguant
le nyania qui bruit des sexes en compagnie, il supplee a ce qu'entre eux,
de rapport nyait pas.               -- Jacques Lacan, "L'Etourdit"