   Re: Who will maintain SAX?

  • From: Seairth Jacobs <seairth@bbglobex.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 10:12:38 -0400

He's not saying that it should be taken on by W3C to be beefed up to be like
DOM.  He's saying that it would be nice for there to be a W3C standard like
SAX to compliment the features of DOM.  After all, SAX is an ideal choice
for building the DOM.  SAX should be left as it is, and I think that most
people (the W3C especially) understand that.

Now, the only down side I see to the W3C is the development cycle time.  SAX
has gone through two versions in the same amount of time that some of the
W3C projects have gone from draft to recommendation.  Technology is moving
much faster than the W3C can manage to keep up with.  The xml-dev group, on
the other hand, is the technology (or at least the group that is driving
technology) and therefore has driven SAX to keep up with everyones needs.
Giving SAX over to the W3C will most likely slow any future revisions to a
crawl.

---
Seairth Jacobs
seairth@bbglobex.com