   RE: Who will maintain SAX?

  • From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 22:21:19 -0400

Ken North wrote:

> This has become an issue over in the XML/EDI world. Proponents of XML/EDI
> are running into
> resistance because U.S. government healthcare reform rules (HIPAA) mandate
> the use of standards-based software for processing transactions such as
> claims. The barrier for XML/EDI is that XML is not an ANSI or ISO standard
> (such as X12 or SGML.)

	Well in all fairness HIPAA nee Kennedy-Kassebaum was passed by Congress in
1996 and is not mandated to be implemented until late 2002, so we are not
dealing with fast moving organizations :-! A problem with XML was/is its
immaturity compared to X12 at the time of specification. XML not being
ANSI/ISO does not prevent XML healthcare standards being proposed by the
ASTM or HL7 in ANSI track.

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group
http://www.openhealth.org