   RE: XTech 2001 (was RE: Who will maintain SAX)

  • From: "Elledge, Marion" <melledge@printing.org>
  • To: "'Arnold, Curt'" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>,"'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 10:51:19 -0400

Knowledge Technologies 2001 will replace XTech in Austin, Texas, March 4-7.
Throughout the GCA events in 2000, there has been growing interest in
technologies that support knowledge management. In Europe there were 250-300
attendees in the sessions on topic maps. At Extreme there was tremendous
interest in RDF and Topic Maps. Ontologies and semantics have also proven to
be major topics thus far. Based on the papers received for XML 2000, one
full track is devoted to Knowledge Technologies. Therefore, we at GCA,
agree that the next revolution for the Web will be the shift from an
information base to a knowledge base. And the revolution will be grounded by
emerging knowledge technologies to make the semantic web a reality.

To achieve the goal of a quality conference to address these issues, the
conference will be structured based on the input of the papers received and
on the insight of the Conference Board of Advisors. If you have suggestions
for the program, would like to submit a paper, or possibly serve on the
Board of Advisors, please contact me.

Watch the event web site for more information coming soon!
http://www2.gca.org/knowledgetechnologies/

P.S. In lieu of XTech, Jon Bosak has agreed to chair the XML Developers'
Special Interest Day at XML2000 on Monday, December 4. As with XTech, this
day will feature the latest and greatest cutting edge technologies and
advancements in support of XML and its related standards. The call for
papers for XML  Developers' Day will be posted to the list within the next
few days.

Marion L. Elledge
Senior VP/IT
Graphic Communications Association