   RE: Who will maintain SAX?

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 10:00:33 -0500

Simon sez:

>So how exactly do you explain the widespread support for SAX in pretty much
>every parser, even those from the 'big boys'?  I don't see them labeling
>SAX as a private experimental API in their docs.

>Some days I wonder if the bias toward institutions is just built into the
>SGML way, or if maybe it's just my life as an independent consultant that
>gives me a different perspective on the (low) value of such things.

Because an event-based callback parser is a
requirement.  It could have come from anywhere,
but getting it here saved a lot of hassle.  Your
perspective may be based on that.

When something is first offered and easy to adopt, they
adopt it.  It's cheaper to let this list
do that work and it is the right thing to do because
it is experimental.  But not when it comes time to
extend it. That is when each decision has the most
impact on the codebase and responsible vendors
protect their customers.  Otherwise, we are back
to Sun Owns Java, Adobe Owns PDF and so on.  You
get a PAS (publicly accessible specification) instead
of an openly developed specification.

What I said, "At this juncture..." has to do
with lifecycle requirements.  What is required
now, in my opinion, is a defined process, a credible
institution, and the capacity of the institution to
engage multiple issues and direct the work.  It is
committee work now.  SAX is stable but if opened
to political agendas, that future becomes uncertain.
Faced with uncertainty, the "big guys" will seek a
means to reduce that and when they control the
consortia, that isn't hard to do.  It's as easy
as taking SGML and renaming it XML, then telling
the world they invented it. See XML Magazine,
Fall 2000, Vol 1, No 4: Who's Open Now? Sean
Gallagher: "Considering that Sun essentially
claims to have invented XML..."

Let's pass on the SGML bias stuff.  XML is SGML.
Trying to make it seem otherwise is populist flame bait.
It may stir the list up but if it can be stirred by
that after this long engaging the issues, then
that provides the precise example for why
institutions typically manage specifications
after they have been broadly accepted.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com