   RE: Who will maintain SAX?

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 10:21:47 -0400

At 08:56 AM 10/4/00 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>At this juncture in the history of SAX, if it
>is turned over to another "benign dictator", then
>the vendors who deliver the SAX products can
>consider it a private, experimental API and
>turn to the various consortia (which ever
>THEY prefer) to establish a credible, funded
>authority for maintenance of its replacement.
>They can continue to call that SAX and ignore
>the privately held artifact.
>
>In fact, that will be the responsible thing
>to do.  It's more prudent than the other
>courses open when an individual holds authority
>over a public specification.

So how exactly do you explain the widespread support for SAX in pretty much
every parser, even those from the 'big boys'?  I don't see them labeling
SAX as a private experimental API in their docs.

Some days I wonder if the bias toward institutions is just built into the
SGML way, or if maybe it's just my life as an independent consultant that
gives me a different perspective on the (low) value of such things.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML