   RE: Who will maintain SAX?

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@garshol.priv.no>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 08:56:09 -0500

At this juncture in the history of SAX, if it
is turned over to another "benign dictator", then
the vendors who deliver the SAX products can
consider it a private, experimental API and
turn to the various consortia (which ever
THEY prefer) to establish a credible, funded
authority for maintenance of its replacement.
They can continue to call that SAX and ignore
the privately held artifact.

In fact, that will be the responsible thing
to do.  It's more prudent than the other
courses open when an individual holds authority
over a public specification.

Make the best deal possible while possible.

Len Bullard
clbullar@ingr.com
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

From: Lars Marius Garshol [mailto:larsga@garshol.priv.no]

* David Megginson

| Since SAX is through its initial rapid-development stage, I'm
| inclined to hand it over to an institution rather than to an
| individual.

Personally, I would prefer to see it the other way around.  I would
much prefer a trusted member of the community to any institution I can
think of. An XML-DEV SourceForge project with some trusted member as
leader might be a compromise solution, but of course still requires
that leader to be found.